Were you the youngest sibling in your family whom ever one would give a piece of pie out of love or simply because you were chubby and cuddly? Or were you the oldest one whom no one paid any heed to and then you were just left with the pie crump? So no more crying, here is the yummy yet healthy pie for you.
- 1 1⁄2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 80g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 French shallots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 900g skinless flathead or other firm white fish fillets, cut into 5cm pieces, patted dry with paper towel
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh continental parsley
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh lemon thyme
- 2 tbs panko breadcrumbs
- Mixed leaf salad, to serve
- potato puree
- 1.5kg Desiree potatoes, washed
- 200ml milk
- 120g unsalted butter, chopped
Take a frying pan. Heat it well and then add a spoonful of oil along with say about 20gm of butter. Let it heat until you see butter is foaming. Then add the shallot and let it cook for a minute or until it softens. After it has soften up add the fish to it. Stir it for about 5 minutes and till you find it is cooked. Then take it off the heat. Meanwhile throw in the parsley.
Now for making the potato puree, do not peel the potatoes. Place them in the pan. Add cold salted water to it. And then bring it to boil. Simmer it for about 30 minutes. Pierce the potatoes to see of they are cooked well. Drain out the water. Peel them off. Dry them out. Let them cool. Meanwhile, warm the milk. Mash the potatoes with some melted butter and add the warm milk to it. Keep on stirring it.
Then preheat the oven to 220 degree Celsius. Cover the baking pan with baking paper. Then add the potato puree in the baking dish. Then the fish mixture. Add potato puree over it. Flatten them evenly. Take a frying pan and melt some butter in it and immediately pour it in the baking dish. Dust the bread crumb over the melted butter. Bake it for about 15 minutes and there you will have the beautiful brown fish pie ready!